21 Jan, MammawVi's Tater Soup, Kara

>> Thursday, January 21, 2010

OK, so I guess I've lurked long enough. Today I'm having MammawVi's Potato Soup, a la Kara...

This is leftover from last night, but here is the basic recipe:

1pkg frozen Hash Browns (I use Ore Ida... some people call these southern style or home style... they are not shoestring but more like chopped potatoes)
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 sm box (about 30 oz) of chicken broth
1 pt sour cream
seasonings (see below)

reserve sour cream. put all other ingredients in crock pot and cook on low, stirring occasionally for 6-8 hrs (we tried 5hrs once and the taters were still a little crunchy but more than 8 and you've basically got a puree). add sour cream, cook 20 min. serve with shredded cheese, bacon bits, chives or anything else you like on potatoes.

seasonings (this is the a la Kara part)
I'm not big on measurements... so these should be to taste for your family...
1 small onion finely chopped (I add about 2 Tbsp of minced onion flakes instead because I am super lazy)
2 big dashes (heh) of minced garlic flakes
2-3 tsp of black pepper
3 tsp of salt (I use kosher salt... I'm not just lazy... I'm weird too)

some recipes call for cream cheese instead of sour cream... then sour cream on top... I think this would be good, but then you have to work to blend in the cream cheese at the end... so I skip that.

Hope you enjoy, I know I am!

3 comments:

Lisa January 21, 2010 at 10:01 AM  

Oh yum. We are so making this soon. Potato soup is my favorite kind of soup.

Lisa January 22, 2010 at 9:15 AM  

(Just wrote all this down so we can make it this weekend!)

Lisa January 22, 2010 at 4:47 PM  

Total hit! Very yummy.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP